Our client is a global supplier of electric power equipment with over 100 years history. It’s product offerings include distribution switches, automation solutions, reclosers, distribution and transmission cable accessories, and current limiting system protection devices.
We are looking for an R&D Manager, that will Manage Design of New Products for manufacturing at client facilities or third parties. Responsible for the performance and results of project teams.
- 3 direct reports currently
- Reporting to VP Engineering in the U.S.
- Direct responsibility for building their own team and the R&D department
- Responsible for management of cross-functional multi-facility design teams in design and day-to-day activities.
- Responsible for proactively identifying and mitigating risks to project schedule through actions such as PARM, identification and coordination of resources external to the team, etc."
- Responsible for managing resources within the departmental team to be in line with workload and schedule commitments on projects, delegating/allocating tasks and responsibilities to team members
- Develop schedules, coordinate and manage projects of all complexity levels with little to no supervision.
- Responsible for preparation and monitoring of project budgets in area of responsibility.
- Responsible for coordination of resources and completion of Product Realization Stage Gate requirements.
- Responsible for departmental project designs meet requirements of specification and standards while promoting error-proof assembly. Responsible for coordination with specification writers to ensure project feasibility.
- Responsible for development test plan creation in line with project specifications, industry standards, and reliability and validation requirements."
- Oversee construction and testing of prototype components or assemblies as required in the development and approval process.
- Responsible for ensuring testing is in line with the test plan and meets or exceeds client’s requirements.
- Perform root cause analysis and troubleshooting on the new and existing products and processes
- Prepare written documentation of processes, material requirements, test results and project activity as required. Create / revise standards as needed.
- Participate in industry organizations (associations, standards committees, etc) to stay informed of and to influence industry activities.
- Interface with purchasing and vendors in the selection and approval of component parts and assemblies.
- Provide Engineering support to Sales/Marketing and Manufacturing on new and existing products and processes. Help to train departmental teams on the application and customer use of client’s products.
- Consult with Customer representatives to discuss product requirements and specifications when design or manufacturing problems are involved
- Provide support and direction to department and project team members such Project Engineers, Designers, and Technicians.
- Ensure designs follow established procedures for creation and maintenance of CAD databases and libraries.
- Participate in the review of engineering drawings prior to the release to manufacture. Responsible for final approval of applicable drawings.
- Responsible for reviewing projects and processes against project and company goals for cost efficiency and reliability.
- Responsible for rating performance of subordinates against job requirements, established goals, and company competencies.
- Develop direct reports’ work skills to improve department quality, throughput and to reduce scrap/rework. Work with individuals regarding company competencies and personal growth plans.
- Continuously improve engineering processes including DFM, project and product costs, quality, and project lead times.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Responsible for hire/fire decisions; performance appraisals; employee training and development; handles disciplinary problems. This job will be evaluated on these decisions. Required Qualifications:
- Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (Preferred)
- 8+ years progressive experience in Engineering design and/or development which includes
- Leading highly technical and innovative projects. Desire to be constantly challenged with new problems
- Project management, team management, root-cause analysis and computer analysis programs
- Medium/low voltage electrical power systems specifically Ring Main Unit, IEC switchgear
- Leading and reviewing DFMEA, FEA, etc
- Leading development projects within a Stage Gate Process
- Strong technical knowledge in the following categories per discipline:
- Mechanical: Molded Components and polycarbonate housings or Mechanism Design, castings, and metal fabricated parts.
- Electrical: Current and Voltage Sensors, Power Systems (Protection, System Analysis, and System Fault Response), electrical power systems design, electrical component design
- Demonstrated ability to write/edit technical documents; test reports, engineering standards, industry technical papers.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills. (English required)
- Proven experience with computers; Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project or equivalents.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Preference for published author and/or involvement in industry publications.
- The ideal candidate will have a history of creativity, innovation, and initiative. A self-starter driven ot learn new methodologies.
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)
- Heavy Lifting (frequent 25 lbs +)
Place of work: Piacenza, Emilia Romagna
Salary Package: 80.000 € / 95.000 €